Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Arthropods

Just before I got so very sick, I had ordered some painted lady caterpillars as part of Miss Adventures science class.

They were so very tiny when they first arrived. I wish I had taken a snapshot of how small they were for they grew amazingly fast!

Before too long, they had all climbed to the top of their little cup, attached themselves to the cloth there, and hung down in little "J's." (That beige stuff at the bottom of the cup is the food that came with the insects.)

A couple of days later, we awoke to chrysalises. I had hoped to see the little guys making their chrysalises, but we missed it. It was cool to see the chrysalises up close though.

We had to wait 3 days before moving the cloth they were hanging on over to the cage where the emerging butterflies would live.

Then it seemed like forever, but one morning we awoke to find the butterflies emerging from their chrysalises.

We kept them in the cage inside, feeding them sugar water, until the weather changed so we could set them free.

I expected to have a cage of fluttering insects, but they spent most of their time just hanging out on the sides of the cage.

After a couple of days, the weather was warm again, so we decided to set them free. They only live a couple of weeks as butterflies, and we wanted them to enjoy some time outside. Again, my expectations differed from reality. I expected to open the cage to have the half dozen butterflies all flit out of their cage together in a little fluttering cloud. Not so.

They almost had to be coaxed out one by one.
Come on. Don't be shy.

Last one.

What a fun project. I enjoyed it as much as Miss Adventure. Probably more. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment