Wednesday, January 11, 2017

New Year's Day

I spent the first day of 2017 making curtains.

The Chemist had decided she wanted to spend some of her bonus money on lined curtains for her windows. She has a wall of glass on the north side of her living room. A sliding glass door with 2 more stationary glass panels. The wimpy little shade was just not cutting it.

She found some gorgeous blue curtain fabric and asked if I would make it into curtains as her holiday gift. I was delighted to be able to help her. I found some aptly named "warm window" lining for them and got to work. It was intimidating to cut into that gorgeous fabric, but I knew I had to.

There is something so satisfying about that neat row of pins.

It took me most of the day, but, as we were traveling to the big city the next day to visit Mr. Wonderful's side of the family, I really wanted to have them ready to hang at her place. I brought my camera to take a snapshot of my work, complete and looking great.

But they looked absolutely dorky. They were much too short. What went wrong? Mr. Wonderful had measured the windows on an earlier visit and written those measurements down on a small card. I had taken that card and carefully added in seam allowances, headings, hems. But when it comes to curtains, there is a huge difference between 7'1" and 71". I cried. My whole day, that gorgeous fabric, and dorkiness.

It can't be helped. I've schemed about adding on, but it would look terrible. So, I've ordered more fabric and backing. I will be remaking the curtains this weekend. That is, I hope the materials will arrive before the ice does.

But all is not lost. The Geologist and his Sweetheart could use some curtains. Their apartment doesn't have floor length windows. The Chemist says the curtains, even too short, are still making a big difference.

What a way to start the year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment