Thursday, July 14, 2016

It Just Keeps Growing

 Another pause in my drive to get caught up to post a garden update. This garden takes a lot of my time, energy, and attention. So I want to see its progress when I print my blog book at the end of the year. Skip on by if this bores you. :-)


Potatoes. I harvested 17 pounds of potatoes from one of my three patches. I think I may have been a tad early, so I'm waiting a bit to harvest the other two beds. Though they will need harvested soon. Their foliage is dying back indicating time to harvest. We've already had three meals with some of the new harvest.


My deck flowers continue to give me joy.


I love it when the morning glories start to cover the bedroom window. It feels so cottage-y. :-)

This cherry tomato plant has climbed out of its cage.


While in the garden, the tomatoes are full of fruit. I even moved a planned meal of spaghetti tomorrow night to last night with so many tomatoes ready to go. I've enjoyed several BLTs and lots of slicing tomatoes. Yum!

 

My watermelon babies! Still pretty small, but growing each day.


My three sisters are actually doing rather well. I have three pumpkins!


And here you can see a bean plant with its delicate lilac blooms using the corn stalk to stand upright.
 I did some weeding this morning and rescued the melons from the joint grass. I found one little melon started, but I've damaged the vine in my weeding. I'm not sure it will survive.
 


After weeding, I checked on the strawberries. The chemist and I snack on their juicy sweetness whenever we visit the garden. So much flavor in such a sweet little package. But the peak of the harvest for these seems to have passed.

Along with the tomatoes, last night's sauce included a huge handful of fresh basil and some oregano from my garden as well. We've had six days in a row eating something from the garden. I'm feeling particularly virtuous. It really is cool, though, to be having fajitas and walking out to the garden to pick onion, peppers, and tomatoes.
 Happy, happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment